News digest for December 29 – January 9
- The Supreme Court rejected a petition to change the territorial jurisdiction of the case of politician Andrei Pivovarov from Krasnodar to St. Petersburg
- The head of the Constitutional Court allowed the return of the death penalty in Russia
- The Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation has included in the register of foreign agents writer Viktor Shenderovich, activist Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and six more people
- Mediazona was recognized as “foreign agent” due to revenue from Google advertising
- Businessman and “Putin’s chef” Yevgeny Prigozhin demanded to open a criminal case on libel against the writer Viktor Shenderovich
- Ivan Zhdanov said that his father was sent to a pre-trial detention center again
- USA, Great Britain and the European Union condemn the liquidation of Memorial
- In Italy the Ukrainian theater director Yevgeny Lavrenchuk was detained at the request of Russia. He is accused of financial violations that he allegedly committed in Russia eight years ago. Why he was detained right now and why there are still no specific documents related to the case is unknown.
- The owner of the IT company “M13” Vladislav Klyushin can provide the US Prosecutor’s Office with evidence of Russia’s interference in the 2016 American elections. In March 2021, Klyushin was detained in Switzerland at the request of the American authorities. In mid-December, he was extradited to the United States. The Russian is accused of trading insider information.
- Representatives of the Taliban terrorist movement, who seized power in Afghanistan, met with Russian investors.
- YouTube threatened to remove video of LGBT blogger living in the United States, at the request of Roskomnadzor
- In correctional colony No. 2 (IK-2) in Angarsk, prisoners massively slit their wrists
- The Ministry of Justice selected the Kuban environmental organization from the register of non-profit organizations – “foreign agents”